Monday, May 16, 2011

Raw Corn Tortilla Chips



Nutritional benefits of Raw Corn.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/331158-fresh-raw-corn-nutrition-information/

This is what was uncooking in the kitchen yesterday.
Raw Tortilla Chips,Salsa and Cilantro Cashew Cream.
Raw Almond Pate would be a nice replacement for Cilantro Cashew Cream.
I once found an Almond Pate recipe from a 1973 London restaurant listed online.
Find our on page 147 of the cookbook.

I decided to make my own raw tortilla chips after enjoying a delicious raw meal at my favorite downtown Chicago vegan stop.
RAW at the French Market in the train station at 131 N. Clinton.
www.chicagorawfood.com
Phenomenal seasoning, presentation, quality in the variety of packaged meals offered
M-Sat at RAW.
Don't miss their amazing raw desserts and cookies to finish the meal superbly.

This is how I went about making mine yesterday after reviewing a few recipes.
This recipe filled 3 dehydrator sheets worth or 2 cookie sheets worth.
These chips are a very filling snack.

In my Vitamix (or food processor)

First I ground 1 C Raw Pepitas to meal (Pumpkin Seeds) in the Vitamix
Then added:
Raw corn stripped from 6 ears
1 Red Bell Pepper,seeded and sliced into strips
1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
1 Garlic clove, smashed
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Vulcan Fire Salt
or 1 tsp Salt plus 1/4 tsp Cayenne

I had a half of peeled Carrot handy so I sliced it and added it for
flavor and color.
Processed the above to blend into a thick meal.

Next:
Placed meal in a bowl and added 2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced fine.
Jalapenos around here have been very mild so 2 worked fine.
I was concerned about the chips being too brittle and falling apart
so I stirred in 2 tsp Flax Meal and 2 tsp Olive oil



28 hours later






Spread thinly and evenly on parchment paper on 3 levels of a dehydrator.
Set at 115 to crisp for 24+ hours.
Check after that amount of dehydrator time by cracking a corner.
I also tried a half a cookie sheet in my convection oven.
300 degrees for 30- 45 min.



That starter plate was enjoyed with this Seitan Taco Platter.
These corn Tortilla were purchased at one of our many neighborhood Tortilla manufacturers: Sabinas, Chicago

No comments: